Yes, you can absolutely cook frozen egg rolls in an air fryer! Air fryers are a great way to make frozen egg rolls come out crispy on the outside and hot and delicious on the inside. The circulating hot air of an air fryer mimics deep frying, allowing you to enjoy all the crispy, crunchy goodness of fried egg rolls without the extra calories from oil. Cooking frozen egg rolls in an air fryer is quick, easy, and results in egg rolls that taste like they came fresh from your favorite Chinese restaurant.
How to Cook Frozen Egg Rolls in an Air Fryer
Cooking frozen egg rolls in an air fryer is very simple:
– Frozen egg rolls
– Cooking spray or oil (optional)
1. Pre-heat your air fryer to 380°F-400°F. Refer to your air fryer’s manual for exact temperature instructions.
2. Lightly spray or brush the air fryer basket with vegetable oil or cooking spray. This helps make the egg rolls extra crispy.
3. Place the frozen egg rolls in the air fryer basket without overcrowding. Leave some space between each one.
4. Air fry the egg rolls for 6-8 minutes, flipping them halfway through. The cooking time may vary slightly depending on the size of your egg rolls.
5. The egg rolls are done when they are golden brown and crispy on the outside. Check one to make sure the filling is hot.
6. Repeat with any remaining egg rolls. Enjoy immediately!
– Use cooking spray for a lighter, more low-calorie option vs. oil.
– Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. This ensures even cooking.
– Use tongs to flip the egg rolls; a fork may puncture the casing.
– Check doneness early to prevent overcooking.
– Add a dash of sesame oil for more authentic flavor.
– Serve immediately with duck or sweet and sour sauce.
Does Air Frying Frozen Egg Rolls Make them Soggy?
No, cooking frozen egg rolls in an air fryer will not make them soggy! One of the biggest benefits of using an air fryer is that it mimics the quick heat and air circulation of a deep fryer, resulting in a crispy exterior and tender interior.
Here are some tips to ensure your frozen egg rolls come out perfectly crispy from the air fryer, not soggy:
Tips to Avoid Soggy Egg Rolls
– Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. This allows for proper air circulation.
– Use a light coating of oil. Oil helps facilitate browning and crisping.
– Make sure egg rolls are fully frozen before air frying. Partially thawed rolls may get soggy.
– Set the air fryer to the highest temperature recommended (around 380°F). Higher heat = crispier results.
– Cook egg rolls in batches. Adding too many at once lowers the temperature.
– Flip egg rolls halfway through cooking time. This ensures even browning.
– Don’t open the air fryer while cooking. Opening it releases heat and steam.
– Let cooked egg rolls drain on a paper towel or rack before serving.
As long as you follow these tips, you can rest assured your frozen egg rolls will come out golden brown, crispy, and never soggy from the air fryer!
What Temperature and Time Should I Use to Air Fry Frozen Egg Rolls?
Cooking frozen egg rolls in the air fryer is quick and easy, but getting the temperature and cook times just right is important for perfect results.
Here are the recommended air fryer settings for frozen egg rolls:
Air Fryer Frozen Egg Roll Temperature
– 380°F – 400°F
The ideal temperature range for air frying frozen egg rolls is 380°F to 400°F. This relatively high heat helps replicate the hot oil of deep frying, giving you crispy egg rolls in a fraction of the time.
Air Fryer Frozen Egg Roll Cook Time
– Medium egg rolls: 6-8 minutes
– Large egg rolls: 8-10 minutes
For average medium-sized frozen egg rolls, cook at 380°F – 400°F for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway. For jumbo egg rolls, increase cook time to 8-10 minutes.
Check for doneness a few minutes early to avoid overcooking. Egg rolls are done when the filling is piping hot and the casing is golden brown and crispy.
Adjust times as needed based on the capacity and power of your particular air fryer model. Use these general guidelines, then tweak to your liking!
How Many Frozen Egg Rolls Can You Cook in an Air Fryer at Once?
One of the most common air fryer mistakes is overcrowding the basket. Too many egg rolls at once prevents proper air circulation, leading to uneven cooking and soggy results.
Here are some tips on how many frozen egg rolls you can cook in an air fryer simultaneously:
Air Fryer Basket Capacity Guidelines
– Small/Medium Basket: Cook 3-4 egg rolls at a time
– Large Basket: Cook 6-8 egg rolls at a time
– Extra Large Basket: Cook 10-12 egg rolls at a time
It’s better to work in smaller batches to ensure egg rolls get perfectly crispy. Wait until each batch is finished cooking before adding more.
You’ll also want to leave some space around each egg roll:
– Small egg rolls: 1 inch space
– Large egg rolls: 2 inch space
Following these guidelines prevents overcrowding so your egg rolls cook up crispy and delicious, not soggy. Simply set a timer and cook each batch for the recommended time, flipping halfway. Repeat until all egg rolls are cooked. Enjoy!
Do You Need Oil to Air Fry Frozen Egg Rolls?
While you don’t absolutely need oil to air fry frozen egg rolls, using a small amount can help promote browning and make them extra crispy.
Here are some tips on oiling egg rolls in the air fryer:
Oiling Tips for Air Fried Egg Rolls
– Use oil sparingly – Just a spray or light brushing is enough.
– Opt for a high smoke point oil like avocado, grapeseed, or vegetable oil.
– Oiling the air fryer basket is more effective vs. oiling egg rolls directly.
– Spray basket with cooking spray or brush with 1⁄2 Tbsp oil maximum.
– Skip oil to keep egg rolls lower in fat and calories.
– For a crispier crust, oil before AND halfway through cook time.
While oil is not required for air frying per se, it undeniably helps frozen egg rolls achieve that sought-after crispy exterior and slightly oily mouthfeel just like deep fried. But less oil = less fat and calories. Find what works for your preferences!
How to Reheat Leftover Air Fried Egg Rolls
Air fried egg rolls are so quick and easy to make, you’ll want to enjoy the leftovers! Here are some tips for properly reheating leftover air fried egg rolls:
Methods to Reheat Leftover Air Fried Egg Rolls
– Air Fryer: Re-air fry at 350°F for 4-5 minutes until hot.
– Oven: Bake at 350°F for 4-5 minutes directly on oven rack.
– Microwave: Microwave in 30 second intervals until hot, about 1-2 minutes.
– Pan Fry: Heat 1 Tbsp oil in skillet. Fry egg rolls 2-3 minutes per side over medium heat.
The key is to reheat egg rolls at a high enough temperature to make the filling piping hot while recrisping the exterior. Avoid boiling or steaming methods which will make them soggy.
Let egg rolls rest 1-2 minute after reheating to allow filling to heat through fully. Enjoy your leftovers – they’ll taste like you just freshly air fried them!
Delicious Air Fryer Egg Roll Recipes to Try
Now that you know how quick and easy it is to air fry frozen egg rolls, here are some delicious flavor ideas to try:
Creative Air Fryer Egg Roll Recipes
– Thai Chicken Egg Rolls – Spicy chicken with cabbage and Thai seasoning.
– Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls – Shredded chicken, hot sauce, blue cheese crumbles.
– Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls – Thinly sliced steak, melted cheese, onions, peppers.
– Bacon, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Egg Rolls – The perfect on-the-go breakfast.
– BBQ Pulled Pork Egg Rolls – Smoky pulled pork and melty cheese.
– Supreme Pizza Egg Rolls – Pizza toppings like pepperoni, marinara sauce, mozzarella.
– Loaded Baked Potato Egg Rolls – Potatoes, bacon, cheddar cheese, scallions.
– Cheesy Jalapeño Popper Egg Rolls – Creamy cheesiness in a crispy wrapper!
The possibilities are endless for unique air fryer egg rolls. Try different fillings to please all palates!
Common Air Fryer Egg Roll FAQs
Have more questions about making egg rolls in the air fryer? Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions:
Air Fryer Egg Roll FAQs
Are air fried egg rolls healthy?
Air fried egg rolls are healthier than their deep fried counterparts. With little to no oil, they are lower in fat, calories, and cholesterol compared to deep frying.
Can I make egg roll wrappers from scratch for the air fryer?
Yes, you can make homemade egg roll wrappers and air fry them. Be sure they are very thin and dried sufficiently to yield a crispy texture.
Should I spray egg rolls with oil before air frying?
A light spray of cooking oil before air frying helps egg rolls get extra crispy. But it’s not strictly necessary, especially if you want to minimize added fat.
How long do air fried egg rolls last in the fridge?
Properly stored in an airtight container, air fried egg rolls will keep 3-4 days refrigerated. Reheat them before serving.
Can I freeze egg rolls after air frying them?
It’s best to cook frozen egg rolls directly from frozen. But you can freeze egg rolls again after air frying for up to 3 months. Reheat directly from frozen state.
Do I need to thaw frozen egg rolls before air frying?
Nope! You can put frozen egg rolls straight into the air fryer. No need to thaw first.
Air frying makes enjoying homemade egg rolls fast, easy and healthier than deep frying. With crispy, crunchy texture and piping hot filling, air fried frozen egg rolls are hard to beat for a quick appetizer or meal.
Follow the recommended time and temperature guidelines for perfect results every time. Feel free to get creative with fun fillings too. Enjoy your homemade egg rolls straight from the air fryer!