Panera Bread is a popular fast casual restaurant chain that serves soups, salads, sandwiches, and baked goods. One of their most popular soup offerings is the chicken tortilla soup, which combines shredded chicken, tomatoes, corn, beans, peppers, onions, cilantro, and Mexican spices in a seasoned chicken broth. But does every Panera location have this soup on their menu?
The Availability of Chicken Tortilla Soup at Panera
The availability of chicken tortilla soup can vary from location to location. Here are some key points on the soup’s availability:
- Chicken tortilla soup was introduced on Panera’s menu in the early 2000s. It quickly became one of their most popular soup choices.
- Most Panera locations carry chicken tortilla soup as a regular menu item during fall and winter months. It is usually available from September through April.
- During spring and summer months, chicken tortilla soup is typically cycled off the menu at most locations. Some locations may offer it seasonally or by request during these months.
- Newer or smaller format Panera locations may not have chicken tortilla soup regularly. The availability can depend on factors like store size and inventory limitations.
- While chicken tortilla soup is considered a core soup for Panera, local inventory and distributor availability in a given area can also impact whether a store carries it.
In summary, while most Panera locations carry chicken tortilla soup for much of the year, availability is not guaranteed at every store. Check with your local Panera to see if they currently have it in stock.
Ways to Find Out if Your Local Panera Has Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you are hoping to order Panera’s chicken tortilla soup, here are some tips to find out if it’s available at a Panera near you:
- Check the menu on the Panera website – Enter your city or zip code and check the online menu for that specific location. This can give you an idea of their current soup selections.
- Call ahead to ask – Calling your local Panera and asking an employee directly if they have chicken tortilla soup that day is the best way to confirm.
- Ask via online ordering – When placing an online order for pickup, add chicken tortilla soup to your order. The system will tell you if it is unavailable at that location.
- Visit the location – Stop by the Panera and look at their soup options for the day. This gives you a chance to see all available soups in person.
- Ask about seasonal availability – If it’s not available year-round, you can ask the staff about when they expect it to be back on the menu.
Checking online, calling ahead, or visiting the store are the best options to get real-time availability information on the chicken tortilla soup.
Nutrition Information for Panera’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you are able to order the chicken tortilla soup, here is the nutrition information per serving:
- Calories: 280
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 960mg
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 19g
As you can see, Panera’s chicken tortilla soup is high in protein from the shredded chicken. It also provides a good amount of fiber, though it is high in sodium content. The calorie, fat, and carb counts are moderate per serving size.
Ingredients in Panera Bread’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
Panera Bread uses the following ingredients to make their popular chicken tortilla soup:
- Chicken Stock – The soup base is made from Panera’s signature chicken stock.
- Pulled Chicken – Shredded, boneless chicken breast meat is added for protein.
- Onions – Sliced yellow onions provide flavor.
- Tomatoes – Diced tomatoes add texture and color.
- Green Peppers – Chopped green bell peppers enhance the flavor.
- Jalapeño Peppers – Diced jalapeños bring on the heat.
- Cilantro – Fresh cilantro provides freshness.
- Corn – Offsets other vegetables with sweetness.
- Black Beans – Protein-rich addition.
- Lime Juice – Brightens up the citrus flavor.
- Tortilla Strips – Provides crispy texture.
- Chili Powder – Adds a touch of spiciness.
- Cumin – Earthy, warm cumin seasoning.
- Garlic Powder – Rounds out flavor profile.
- Salt – For enhancing overall flavors.
This combination of chicken, veggies, beans, and Mex-inspired seasonings creates the signature chicken tortilla soup flavor profile.
How to Order Chicken Tortilla Soup from Panera
If chicken tortilla soup is available at your local Panera Bread, here is how you can go about ordering it:
- Order in person – Look for chicken tortilla soup on the menu boards or ask an employee if it’s available that day. Select your desired size.
- Order online for pickup – Add it to your online order and specify pickup time. The website will tell you if it’s unavailable.
- Use the Panera app – Open the app, select your store, and add chicken tortilla soup to your order.
- Order delivery – Place an order through the Panera website or app and get chicken tortilla soup delivered if available.
- Ask for it catered – Panera’s catering menu includes chicken tortilla soup packaged in quantities of 10 servings or more.
Panera allows you to order chicken tortilla soup for takeout, delivery, pickup, or catering. Just check ahead to make sure your location has it in stock for the day and order your desired portion size. It is typically priced between $5.99-$8.99 depending on if you order a cup, bowl, or bread bowl.
Customizing Your Panera Chicken Tortilla Soup Order
Panera allows for some simple customizations to their chicken tortilla soup to fit your preferences:
- Broth: Choose between regular or low-sodium broth.
- Proteins: Add extra chicken or sub in turkey if you prefer.
- Veggies: Get extra tomatoes, onions, peppers, or corn in your soup.
- Spice Level: Request mild, medium, or spicy spice level.
- Toppings: Add tortilla strips, avocado slices, or lime wedges on top.
Knowing these customizations, you can request modifications like low-sodium broth, extra chicken, less spicy, or add avocado to truly make it your own!
Tips for Reheating Panera’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you order chicken tortilla soup for takeout or delivery, here are some tips for reheating it at home:
- Microwave – Heat your soup in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each. Avoid boiling.
- Stovetop – Gently reheat your soup in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add water – The soup may thicken after refrigeration, so add 2-3 tablespoons water before reheating to thin it out.
- Keep tortilla strips separate – Keep any tortilla strips or other toppings separate and add them just before serving so they stay crispy.
- Avoid reheating more than once – To preserve optimal texture and flavor, avoid reheating your soup more than once.
With proper reheating methods, you can enjoy your Panera chicken tortilla soup from the comfort of home.
Tips for Making Your Own Panera-Style Chicken Tortilla Soup
Want to recreate Panera’s famous chicken tortilla soup at home? Here are some tips:
- Chicken broth
- Cooked chicken breast, shredded
- Onion, diced
- Garlic, minced
- Tomatoes, diced
- Green chiles
- Corn kernels
- Black beans
- lime juice
- Tortilla chips
- Mexican-style seasonings like cumin, chili powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper
- Saute onion and garlic until soft.
- Add seasonings and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, tomatoes, chiles, corn, and beans. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Ladle into bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips.
- For best flavor, make the soup 1-2 days in advance to allow flavors to meld.
Adjust seasonings to taste and add other toppings like avocado, sour cream, or extra chicken. Enjoy your homemade version of Panera’s popular soup!
Nutritional Benefits of Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken tortilla soup can be a nutritious option when prepared properly. Here are some of its health benefits:
- Protein – Chicken provides lean protein needed for muscle maintenance and energy.
- Fiber – From the black beans and vegetables in the soup.
- Vitamin C – Tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro provide this immune-boosting vitamin.
- Iron – The chicken and black beans contain iron to support healthy blood and circulation.
- Vitamin A – Sweet potatoes or carrots can be added for this vision-supporting vitamin.
Chicken tortilla soup can make a filling and nutritious meal when loaded up with vegetables, beans, chicken, and fresh lime juice and cilantro. The spices add lots of flavor without excess calories or sodium if made from scratch.
Substitutions and Variations for Chicken Tortilla Soup
There are many ways to vary up chicken tortilla soup to suit your tastes or dietary needs:
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Diced chicken tenders or breasts
- Crab meat
- Extra beans instead of chicken for a vegetarian/vegan option
Veggie and Bean Options
- Fire-roasted tomatoes for smokiness
- Corn removed to be gluten-free
- Zucchini or sweet potatoes for extra veggies
- Cannellini or pinto beans instead of black beans
- Add leafy greens like kale or spinach
Broth Flavor Variations
- Chicken broth seasoned with taco seasoning
- Half chicken broth half vegetable broth
- Substitute tomato broth for richness
- Use spicy chili broth for extra heat
Get creative with the protein, vegetables, beans, seasonings, and broth to make unique chicken tortilla soup recipes for any diet or taste preference!
Potential Side Dishes to Pair with Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken tortilla soup makes for a hearty and comforting meal on its own. But if you want accompaniments, consider these flavorful side dishes:
- Salad – A crisp green salad or spinach side salad.
- Rice – Cilantro lime rice or Spanish rice.
- Beans – Refried or black beans.
- Veggies – Roasted broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus.
- Fruit – Avocado slices, mango salsa, or pineapple.
- Bread – Warm cornbread, tortilla chips, or rolls.
- Cheese – Queso fresco, shredded Mexican blend, cotija.
sides with bright flavors and contrasting textures like salsa, guacamole, queso, and tortilla chips complement the soup especially well. Rice or salad rounds out the meal.
Enjoy Panera’s Chicken Tortilla Soup All Year Long!
Chicken tortilla soup can be enjoyed regardless of season or location when made right at home. This flavorful, protein-packed soup makes for a perfect starter or light meal. With shreds of chicken breast, peppers, spices, and crunchy tortilla strips in every bite, Panera’s soup provides warmth and comfort that you can recreate anytime.
Check your local Panera Bread this fall and winter to see if chicken tortilla soup is available on their menu. And try making it yourself at home with the tips provided here. Happy soup sipping!