Primland pig candy is a delicious sweet and salty snack made by coating bacon strips with a brown sugar glaze. It’s a specialty of Primland resort in Virginia and is the perfect snack to serve at parties or give as edible gifts. Making Primland pig candy is easy to do at home with just a few simple ingredients.
What is Primland Pig Candy?
Primland pig candy consists of thick cut, premium bacon that is baked in the oven until crispy. The bacon is then brushed with a brown sugar glaze made from brown sugar, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and other spices. The glazed bacon is baked again until the sugar coating becomes crunchy and caramelized.
The end result is bacon that is both sweet and salty, with a lovely crunch from the crystallized brown sugar. It’s absolutely delicious and highly addictive! The sweet glaze on the salty, savory bacon makes for an irresistible flavor combination.
History of Primland Pig Candy
Primland pig candy was invented by the chef at the Primland luxury resort in Meadows of Dan, Virginia. Primland is well known for its refined service and accommodation. The chef created the pig candy as a sophisticated yet casual snack to serve guests of the resort.
The combination of bacon and brown sugar proved extremely popular with Primland guests. The recipe was refined over time and eventually made available so people could recreate the addictive bacon treat at home.
Primland pig candy represents the resort’s trademark balance of elegance and approachability. The sweet and salty blend of flavors and crispy, crunchy texture encapsulate the Primland experience.
Over the years, Primland pig candy has become synonymous with the resort. It’s often served at events, gifted in exclusive swag bags, and used as edible favors for weddings and other occasions held at the luxury retreat.
Benefits of Making Your Own Primland Pig Candy
While you can sometimes find Primland pig candy for sale online, making your own at home has some great advantages:
– **Customize the flavors** – Tailor the brown sugar glaze to your tastes by using different mixes of brown and white sugar. Add spices like cayenne, cinnamon, or chipotle powder. Infuse the glaze with bourbon, maple, or vanilla.
– **Control the thickness** – Buy premium thick-cut bacon and cook it to your desired level of crispiness.
– **Make large batches** – Easily double or triple the recipe for parties, game day snacking, or holiday gifts.
– **Save money** – Buying bacon and brown sugar separately is more affordable than purchasing pig candy from a specialty retailer.
– **Use high quality ingredients** – Splurge on artisanal maple syrup, small-batch spices, and locally cured bacon.
With a simple recipe and a package of bacon, you can make gourmet Primland pig candy from the comfort of your own kitchen.
Recreating the signature Primland pig candy is easy with just a few ingredients:
– Bacon – Use thick-cut, good quality bacon. Slab bacon works best rather than pre-sliced. Applewood smoked bacon provides nice flavor.
– Brown sugar – Dark brown sugar has more molasses flavor. Light brown sugar is milder tasting. You can use a mix too.
– Maple syrup – Real maple syrup adds complexity versus plain corn syrup.
– Cayenne pepper – A small amount of cayenne pepper gives a hint of heat.
– Spices – Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice add warmth.
– Salt – A bit of salt balances out the sweetness.
– Pepper – Fresh cracked pepper gives another layer of flavor.
That’s it! The beauty of Primland pig candy lies in its simplicity. Feel free to experiment with the glaze ingredients to make the bacon your own.
Part of what makes preparing Primland pig candy so easy is that you don’t need any specialized equipment. Here’s what you’ll need:
– Rimmed baking sheet – Provides space for the bacon to cook evenly.
– Parchment paper – Keeps the bacon from sticking to the pan.
– Wire cooling rack – Lets you lift and drain the bacon after glazing.
– Mixing bowl – For combining the glaze ingredients.
– Pastry brush – To evenly coat each bacon slice with glaze.
– Spoon – For drizzling extra glaze over the baked bacon.
– Tongs – Helpful for maneuvering the bacon slices.
– Oven mitts – Protect your hands when handling the hot baking sheet.
– Kitchen timer – Ensures you don’t over or under cook the bacon.
– Measuring cups & spoons – Help get the glaze ingredients in the right proportions.
– Knife and cutting board – For slicing the cooked bacon into individual pieces.
You probably have most, if not all, of these supplies in your kitchen already. Feel free to improvise as needed!
Follow these simple steps for crispy, caramelized Primland pig candy every time:
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange bacon slices in a single layer on the sheet.
Step 2 – Bake bacon for 15 minutes. Remove sheet from oven and carefully drain off excess grease. Return bacon to oven for 5-10 more minutes until crispy.
Step 3 – While bacon cooks, make the glaze. Combine brown sugar, maple syrup, cayenne, and any other spices in a mixing bowl. Stir to dissolve sugar.
Step 4 – Brush the bacon slices generously with the glaze using a pastry brush. Flip and brush glaze on the other side.
Step 5 – Place bacon on a wire cooling rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 5 more minutes.
Step 6 – Remove bacon from oven and let cool slightly. Use a spoon to drizzle any extra glaze over the bacon.
Step 7 – Allow bacon to cool completely so the glaze hardens. Break into individual pieces and enjoy!
The initial oven baking renders the bacon crispy before applying the sweet glaze. Letting it bake again caramelizes the brown sugar into a crunchy coating. Cooling helps set the glaze for a candy-like finish.
Once you master the basic technique for Primland pig candy, get creative with the recipe:
– Use thicker cut bacon for more meaty bites
– Add chipotle powder, five spice, or espresso powder to the glaze
– Substitute maple syrup for honey, agave, or brown rice syrup
– Coat bacon in crushed pecans before glazing for a crunchy finish
– Drizzle finished bacon with melted chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt
– Bake smaller strips of bacon for bite-sized candied bacon bits
– Glaze baked bacon with a 50/50 mix of brown sugar and bourbon
– Coat bacon in a spice rub before baking then glaze as usual
– Substitute turkey bacon to make a somewhat healthier version
Let your imagination run wild! The basic instructions stay the same but the glaze can take on countless flavor variations.
How to Store Primland Pig Candy
To extend the shelf life of your homemade Primland pig candy:
– Let cool completely before storing to prevent condensation
– Keep in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week
– For longer storage, refrigerate in a sealed container up to 1 month
– Freeze glazed bacon in an airtight freezer bag up to 3 months
– Wrap individual servings in plastic wrap to grab and go
– Place smaller bags or tins as gifts; add a bow!
The crisp bacon will eventually soften. For maximum crunch and freshness, enjoy your pig candy within 2 weeks. Properly stored, it will still taste delicious for weeks after.
Part of the appeal of Primland pig candy is that it can be served so many ways:
– Set out in candy dishes for parties
– Crumbled over salads for a sweet and salty topping
– Chopped and used in cornbread, muffin, or pancake batter
– Wrapped around dates, prunes, or apricots for an appetizer
– Layered in a spinach or arugula salad for contrast
– Tucked into gift baskets and tins as homemade edible gifts
– Offered as a snack with cocktails or after dinner drinks
– Crumbled over baked potatoes or sweet potatoes
– Served on a charcuterie board with fruits, nuts and cheese
– Used as a topping on deviled eggs or stuffed mushrooms
However you serve it, Primland pig candy is sure to be a hit! The crunchy, candied bacon brings a unique flavor and texture.
One serving of Primland pig candy contains approximately:
– 150 calories
– 12g fat
– 3g saturated fat
– 450mg sodium
– 8g sugar
– 2g protein
Keep in mind nutrition data can vary based on which ingredients and quantities you use. The brown sugar is the main source of carbs and sugar. Enjoy Primland pig candy in moderation as an occasional sweet and salty treat.
The Perfect Gift
Homemade Primland pig candy makes a wonderful edible gift for the bacon lovers in your life. Here are some tips for fabulous food gifting:
– Arrange strips of glazed bacon in a basket lined with parchment paper along with recipe card.
– Place shorter bacon bits in a cellophane bag tied with ribbon.
– Layer glazed bacon between sheets of wax paper in a tin box.
– Wrap individual servings in small bags or jars; attach gift tag.
– Pair bacon with maple syrup, nuts, spices or chocolate.
– Print free printable gift tags and baking instructions from online templates.
– Include message about storing in refrigerator and enjoying within 2 weeks.
– Add personal touch with customized labels, string, or stamps.
Giving Primland pig candy is a unique way to show someone sweetness and that you “give a bacon” about them!
If you’re new to making Primland pig candy, here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
What type of bacon works best?
Look for thick-cut slab bacon or pork belly at your grocery store or butcher shop. Avoid thin or pre-sliced bacon which won’t crisp up properly.
Does the bacon need to be fully cooked first?
Yes, baking the bacon before glazing ensures it gets crispy. Undercooked bacon won’t achieve the right texture.
What can I use instead of maple syrup?
Corn syrup, honey, agave nectar, or brown rice syrup substitute well for maple syrup in the glaze.
How spicy should the glaze be?
That depends on your taste preferences! Start with 1/4 tsp cayenne and add more if you want extra heat.
Why do I need to bake it twice?
The second baking sets the glaze so it crystallizes into that signature crunchy coating.
How do I get the brown sugar glaze to spread evenly?
Brushing it on with a pastry brush guarantees good coverage. Flip to coat both sides.
Can I make Primland pig candy without corn syrup?
Yes, you can make the glaze with just brown sugar and maple syrup. The corn syrup helps the glaze spread but is not essential.
Feel free to reach out if you have any other bacon candy questions! I’m happy to help troubleshoot your pig candy process.
Primland pig candy brings together sweet, salty, spicy, and savory flavors for an irresistible anytime treat. Making your own gourmet bacon candy from scratch lets you customize the ingredients. Follow the simple baking steps for perfectly crispy and caramelized results. Drizzled in brown sugar glaze and toasted to crunchy perfection, Primland pig candy is easy to love. Keep batches on hand for snacking, gift giving, or adding bacon flair to other recipes. Let your creativity shine by dreaming up new glaze combinations and ways to serve this candied bacon creation.