Condado Tacos is a popular taco restaurant chain that started in Columbus, Ohio and has expanded to multiple locations across the Midwest and East Coast. As of October 2022, there are a total of 21 Condado Tacos locations open for business.
In total, there are currently 21 Condado Tacos locations across 6 states.
Breakdown of Locations by State
Here is a breakdown of how many Condado Tacos locations there are in each state:
|Number of Locations
As you can see, over half of all Condado Tacos are located in the chain’s home state of Ohio with 12 total locations. Pennsylvania is second with 3 locations. Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Tennessee each have 1-2 locations.
Full List of Condado Tacos Locations
Here is the full list of all currently open Condado Tacos locations as of October 2022:
|New Albany, OH
|State College, PA
This covers all of the cities and states where you can currently find an open Condado Tacos location. The chain started in Columbus and has expanded primarily across Ohio and into neighboring states like Pennsylvania, Indiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia.
Condado Tacos Locations by Opening Year
Here is a look at how many new Condado Tacos locations have opened per year as the chain has expanded:
|New Locations Opened
The first Condado Tacos opened in 2014 in Columbus, Ohio. Over the next few years, the chain rapidly expanded within Ohio, opening 2-3 new locations each year from 2015-2017. Expansion slowed briefly in 2018 with just one new opening, before picking back up again to 2-3 new locations per year from 2019-2022.
The most openings in a single year so far has been 3, which has happened in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, and 2021. At the current pace of expansion, Condado Tacos seems likely to open 2-3 more new locations by the end of 2022.
Types of Condado Tacos Locations
Condado Tacos has two main types of locations:
The majority of Condado Tacos are full-service restaurants where you order at the counter, sit down with your food, and a server brings drinks/chips to your table. These locations have a vibrant, lively atmosphere with music and decor inspired by tacos and Mexican culture.
A few smaller format Condado Tacos are fast-casual with no full wait service. At these spots you still order at the counter but there is less seating and more emphasis on take-out. They offer a more quick, convenient taco experience.
Based on the current openings, it appears the full-service restaurant model is the priority for growth. But the fast-casual model allows Condado Tacos to move into some non-traditional spaces like food halls and event venues.
Why Condado Tacos Is Growing
There are several factors driving the steady expansion of Condado Tacos over the past decade:
- Unique menu – Condado offers innovative tacos you won’t find elsewhere, like pineapple pork al pastor and BBQ jackfruit. This draws interest and creates a fun experience.
- Thriving home market – Condado was able to perfect operations and gain a loyal following across Ohio before expanding further out.
- Youthful vibes – The energetic atmosphere and marketing attracts college students and young professionals, an appealing demographic.
- Regional focus – By staying in the Midwest and East Coast, Condado Tacos is able to concentrate brand awareness and logistics.
- Franchising – Franchising fuels growth by allowing entrepreneurs to open new locations with corporate support.
Condado Tacos has been strategic in sticking to a growth model and geography that works as they gradually expand. This enables them to provide a consistent customer experience as more locations open.
What’s next for Condado Tacos? The regional taco chain shows no signs of slowing expansion any time soon.
In the short term, Condado will likely stick to targets like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Indiana where they already have a presence. Major cities like Detroit, MI and St. Louis, MO seem like logical next steps.
Longer term, Condado Tacos may eventually go national. Thriving regional chains like Shake Shack, Raising Cane’s, and Portillo’s were eventually able to expand coast-to-coast without losing their identity. Condado Tacos will try to follow a similar playbook.
However, Condado’s growth could be impacted by broader economic factors. High construction costs and recession fears may temper expansion plans in the coming years. But the chain’s success at opening through 2020 and 2021 shows they can adapt to challenges.
Why the Number of Locations Matters
For a growing restaurant chain like Condado Tacos, the number of locations is important for several reasons:
- Revenue growth – More locations equals higher overall sales and profits.
- Brand awareness – Expansion improves brand visibility and recognition, especially when entering new markets.
- Operational learnings – Adding locations provides opportunities to refine systems and processes.
- Customer convenience – More locations gives customers easier access to the brand in their neighborhood or when traveling.
- Economies of scale – Having multiple locations can help create cost efficiencies in areas like purchasing and marketing.
At the same time, expanding too fast risks diluting brand quality and overextending resources. But so far Condado Tacos seems to have struck an excellent balance between growing quickly and opening thoughtfully. Their steady pattern of 2-3 new locations per year has worked well.
Condado Tacos Locations Compared to Competitors
How does the Condado Tacos footprint compare against competitors in the taco and Mexican restaurant space? Here’s a quick look:
- Chipotle – Over 3,000 locations worldwide
- Moe’s Southwest Grill – 700+ locations in US and abroad
- Qdoba – Over 750 locations in US and Canada
- Taco Cabana – Over 160 locations in Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico
With approximately 20 locations, Condado Tacos is still much smaller than the national Mexican chains. But they are significantly larger than regional taco competitors like Bakersfield (7 locations) and Torchy’s Tacos (86 locations).
Condado Tacos has an opportunity to become a national player in the category if they are able to maintain their growth trajectory. Their unique offerings and branding give them an edge as they expand into new markets dominated by the big players.
Here are some key takeaways on how many Condado Tacos locations exist and how the chain is growing:
- There are currently 21 Condado Tacos locations across 6 Midwest and East Coast states.
- 12 of the locations are in the chain’s home state of Ohio.
- On average 2-3 new Condado Tacos open each year.
- Full-service restaurants are the primary format, but some smaller fast-casual locations exist.
- Condado Tacos will likely focus expansion in Ohio and neighboring states in the short term.
- Long term, the goal is to become a national chain on par with Shake Shack or Chipotle.
- Condado Tacos is still tiny compared to giants like Chipotle but has significant room to grow.
The number of locations gives a strong indication that Condado Tacos is a growing brand worth paying attention to. With their unique menu and energetic vibe, Condado has been able to expand steadily while maintaining quality. All signs point to the taco chain accelerating growth in coming years as they work towards the goal of becoming a household name.