Taco Bell’s Mexican pizza has had a tumultuous history over the past few years. The iconic menu item was removed from menus in 2020, much to the dismay of fans. But recent hints from the fast food chain suggest the Mexican pizza may finally be making its long-awaited comeback.
The Rise and Fall of the Mexican Pizza
The Mexican pizza first appeared on Taco Bell’s menus in 1985. It quickly became a customer favorite, consisting of a tortilla shell filled with pizza sauce, beef, beans, tomatoes, and a melted three cheese blend. By 2020, it had achieved cult status among Taco Bell aficionados.
However, in September 2020, Taco Bell announced it would be eliminating several menu items, including the Mexican pizza. The chain cited the decision was made to “streamline its offerings in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.” Customers were crestfallen at the loss of this iconic menu item.
Why Fans Are Hopeful for a Comeback
Almost immediately after its discontinuation, fans began rallying for the return of the Mexican pizza. A Change.org petition called “Save the Mexican Pizza” gathered over 171,000 signatures from disappointed customers. Celebrities like Doja Cat also voiced their desire for the pizza’s comeback on social media.
Taco Bell seemed to be listening. In April 2022, an internal Taco Bell memo leaked, showing the Mexican pizza was slated to return in May 2022. However, that return didn’t materialize. The chain claimed they needed more time to “get it right.”
Then in August 2022, Taco Bell announced the Mexican pizza would be back by September 2022. Fans were thrilled, but once again, the expected comeback did not happen. At this point, Taco Bell said they had faced “unforeseen delays” but were still working to bring back the pizza “soon.”
Latest Hints Suggest a Comeback is Still Happening
Despite multiple delays, all signs point to Taco Bell still planning to bring back the Mexican pizza. Here are some of the latest hints:
- In late September 2022, Taco Bell revamped their website and app, and images of the Mexican pizza were included.
- On October 6th, 2022, Taco Bell posted on its TikTok account teasing “You know we gotta bring back the Mexican Pizza” in a musical jingle.
- A recent online Taco Bell survey asked customers how likely they would be to purchase the Mexican Pizza at various price points, suggesting market research on its return.
Taco Bell also stated in May 2022: “We know fans are eagerly anticipating the return of Mexican Pizza, and we look forward to bringing it back in all its glory soon.”
When Will the Mexican Pizza Return?
Taco Bell has not given an exact date for when the Mexican pizza will return. However, given the recent hints, it is likely we could see it back on menus within the next few months. Some industry experts predict it could return as soon as late 2022.
Other speculation based on online employee training modules points to a potential return date in January 2023. This would align with Taco Bell’s approach of building hype and excitement before re-launching a discontinued menu item.
Whatever the exact date, Taco Bell does seem intent on bringing back this customer favorite. Fans will likely have the Mexican pizza back in hand soon enough.
What Will the Mexican Pizza Be Like Upon its Return?
Details on what form the returning Mexican pizza will take have been scarce. Based on Taco Bell’s hints, it will return in “all its glory,” suggesting the original version fans know and love.
Some key facts about the classic Mexican pizza:
- Two fried flour tortilla shells layered with pizza sauce, taco beef, and a Mexican pizza sauce
- Topped with a three cheese blend melted between the shells
- Garnished with diced tomatoes
- Original price was $2.49 when discontinued in 2020
When it returns, the Mexican pizza will likely cost more than its original $2.49 price. One survey hinted at a $4.49 price point. Given inflation and supply chain issues, a higher cost makes sense.
Taco Bell could also potentially tweak the recipe or update ingredient sourcing. But the core elements of tortilla shells, sauces, beef, cheese, and tomatoes will likely stay intact.
Why Bringing Back the Mexican Pizza Makes Sense for Taco Bell
From a business perspective, reintroducing the Mexican pizza is a smart move for Taco Bell for several reasons:
- Boosts Sales: Mexican pizza has a cult following, and its return will drive curious and nostalgic customers to purchase it again after a 2+ year absence.
- Lowers Production Costs: Reusing an existing product with proven popularity costs less than developing a brand new menu item.
- Increases Brand Loyalty: Bringing back customer favorites inspires goodwill and portrays Taco Bell as a brand that listens to fans.
- Captures Nostalgia: The Mexican pizza has a retro appeal that will hook millennial and Gen X customers craving favorites from childhood.
menus periodically helps keep the brand feeling fresh and exciting. Even outside of limited-time offers, rotating discontinued menu items back in is an easy way to achieve that goal.
How Fans Are Reacting to the Potential Comeback
Unsurprisingly, fans online have been ecstatic about any news pointing to the return of the Mexican pizza. Reactions have included:
- “This makes me so happy! Now I’m craving it for the first time in years.”
- “About time. You guys shouldn’t have ever taken it off the menu.”
- “My prayers have been answered!”
- “The king is coming home! Can’t wait to get one in hand.”
- “Taco Bell just made my whole year.”
A top comment on Reddit summarized fan sentiments well: “I’ll believe it when I’m able to order one at the drive-thru.” Customers are cautiously optimistic but anxiously awaiting the day when Mexican pizza officially returns.
Unanswered Questions Before the Return
Until Taco Bell confirms details, questions still remain about the Mexican pizza return, including:
- When exactly will it be back – what’s the timeline?
- Will the price increase be exorbitant or reasonable?
- Are ingredients changing or staying the same?
- Will it be permanent or for a limited time?
- What promotional tactics will Taco Bell use?
For hungry fans, the top unanswered question remains “when can I get one?” Taco Bell would satisfy customers by providing a concrete return date soon.
The Bottom Line
While Taco Bell has been coy about timing, all signs indicate the iconic Mexican pizza will return in the next few months. The fast food chain knows this comeback is a big opportunity to provide a feel-good win that loyal customers have been demanding.
When the rollout finally happens, expect lengthy drive-thru lines and social media buzz from nostalgic customers elated to devour one again. The return of the Mexican pizza will be a much-needed dose of comfort food happiness for Taco Bell obsessives.
Frequently Asked Questions
When did Taco Bell get rid of the Mexican Pizza?
Taco Bell removed the Mexican Pizza from its menus in September 2020, citing issues like packaging waste as the reason for its discontinuation after 35 years on the menu.
Why do people love the Mexican Pizza so much?
Fans love the Mexican Pizza for its unique flavors and textures, like the crispy fried tortilla shells and gooey cheese. It also has a nostalgic association, as many customers grew up eating it. The petition to save it shows how beloved it is.
What was in the original Mexican Pizza recipe?
The original Mexican Pizza recipe featured two fried flour tortillas filled with seasoned taco meat, pizza sauce, a three-cheese blend, and diced tomatoes on top.
Could Taco Bell bring back any other discontinued items?
Yes, Taco Bell could potentially bring back other discontinued menu items like the Grilled Stuft Nacho, the Double Decker Taco, or the Enchirito. Fans often request losing their old favorites.
Will the Mexican Pizza be the same when it returns?
Taco Bell has said the Mexican Pizza will return in “all its glory,” implying the original recipe. But the price will likely be higher than its pre-2020 cost. Ingredients could be tweaked as well.