Here is a 5000-word article on Taza chocolate answering the question of whether it is better for eating or hot chocolate:
Taza chocolate is a stone-ground, organic chocolate company based in Somerville, Massachusetts. Taza chocolate is unique in that it contains only a few ingredients – cacao beans, cane sugar, and occasionally vanilla – and does not contain any emulsifiers like soy lecithin. This makes Taza an excellent choice for consumers looking for a premium chocolate experience free of additives and preservatives. But is Taza chocolate better suited for eating straight or making hot chocolate? There are good arguments on both sides, which this 5000-word article will explore in detail.
Taza for Eating
There are several reasons why Taza chocolate makes for great eating chocolate:
Bold, Intense Flavor
The stone-grinding process used by Taza results in very large chocolate particles that deliver an extremely bold, intense chocolate flavor when eaten straight. The flavors really pop without being dulled down by emulsifiers. Taza’s single origin bars especially allow the nuanced flavors of each origin’s cacao beans to shine.
In addition to bold flavor, the large chocolate particles in Taza give it a nice gritty, crunchy texture when eaten. This can provide a fun and enjoyable mouthfeel for those who like some texture in their chocolate versus a super smooth texture.
Unique Taste Experience
Due to the lack of additives like soy lecithin, Taza offers a chocolate taste experience you really can’t find anywhere else. The pureness of ingredients allows you to get as close to the true taste of cacao beans as possible. No extra ingredients get in the way of the chocolate flavor.
High Cacao Percentages
Many of Taza’s products are made with cacao percentages of 80% or higher. Their stone-ground chocolate discs even come in a 95% Extra Dark offering. Higher cacao delivers lower sugar content, deeper chocolate flavor, and more antioxidants. Chocolate with high cacao is ideal for eating straight for these reasons.
Taza chocolate is certified Direct Trade, cares deeply about ethics, and maintains direct relationships with the cacao farmers they work with. This appeals to consumers who want to eat ethically sourced chocolate. Taza’s remarkably high standards of quality and ethics make it a great choice for an everyday eating chocolate.
Taza for Hot Chocolate
On the other hand, there are also some great reasons why Taza can make an amazing hot chocolate:
Thick, Creamy Texture
When Taza chocolate is melted in heated milk or cream, its particles dissolve and create a thick, creamy hot chocolate that is almost frothy. The gritty particles become smooth and create more body and a milkshake-like texture.
Complex, Rich Flavor
The bold chocolate flavor of Taza becomes even bolder and more complex when heated up in hot milk or cream. All the flavor notes meld together beautifully for a rich hot chocolate that tastes like liquid chocolate.
Taza’s chocolate flavors pair perfectly with warm spices, vanilla, chili peppers, mint, coffee, and more. This makes it fun to get creative and add different flavor combos to your hot chocolate. The chocolate is high quality enough to still shine through.
You can make hot chocolate with just Taza chocolate and milk. But you can also get creative with ingredients like milk alternatives, spices, liqueurs, whipped cream, marshmallows, etc. Taza chocolate has the flavor and versatility to work well with many ingredients.
When making hot chocolate, you want high quality chocolate without a lot of additives that might change the flavor or texture. Taza’s short ingredient list makes it perfect for people who want pure, additive-free hot chocolate.
|Taza Chocolate Bar (40g)
|Taza Hot Chocolate (8oz)
*Nutrition ranges account for differences in milk/milk alternatives and sweeteners used.
While both provide indulgence, eating Taza chocolate straight provides more concentrated chocolate flavor and cacao benefits with less sugar. Hot chocolate made with Taza and milk/cream provides more calories, protein, and a thicker, richer texture.
Best Taza Products for Eating vs. Hot Chocolate
Certain Taza products lend themselves better to either eating straight or making hot chocolate depending on cacao percentage, ingredients, and flavor profile:
Better for Eating:
– Wicked Dark Chocolate (80%)
– Seriously Dark Chocolate (70%)
– Taza Stone Ground Original Dark Chocolate (60%)
– Taza Stone Ground Dark Chocolate Discs (80-95%)
– Chili Spiced Dark Chocolate
– Dark Chocolate Mexicano Discs
Better for Hot Chocolate:
– Milk Chocolate Mexicano Discs
– Dark Milk Chocolate (55%)
– Drinking Chocolate Discs
– Limited Edition Drinking Chocolates
– Vanilla Dark Chocolate
– Cinnamon Dark Chocolate
While any Taza chocolate can be used for either application, these products cater to the bold flavor and high cacao content ideal for eating straight or the creaminess, spices, and milk chocolate suited for hot chocolate.
Preparation Methods for Hot Chocolate
Taza chocolate can be used in different ways to make hot chocolate:
Taza Hot Chocolate Method
– Heat 1 cup milk of choice on stove or in microwave until steaming.
– Add 2-3 Taza Chocolate Discs and whisk continuously until discs dissolve and chocolate is incorporated evenly into milk.
– Top with whipped cream if desired.
Traditional Hot Chocolate
– Heat 1 cup milk of choice on stove.
– Once simmering, add 2oz chopped Taza chocolate and whisk until fully melted and incorporated into milk.
– Optional: whisk in 1 Tbsp honey or sugar if desired.
– Top with whipped cream if desired.
Mexican Hot Chocolate
– Heat 1 cup milk or half & half.
– Add 2oz chopped Taza chocolate, 1 tsp cinnamon, and pinch of cayenne pepper.
– Optional: add 1-2 Tbsp molasses for deeper flavor
– Whisk until fully melted and combined.
– Top with whipped cream if desired.
The traditional hot chocolate method provides thicker texture but requires chopping chocolate. The Taza discs method skips chopping but doesn’t fully melt the chocolate particles. Choose your preferred method and flavors!
When comparing the price of Taza chocolate for eating vs. hot chocolate, keep in mind:
– Bars are more economical for eating straight at ~$1 per 1.6oz serving
– Discs and mini discs provide more bang for your buck for hot chocolate at ~$1 per 2oz serving
– Bars usually cost $7-9 for a 3oz bar
– Discs cost ~$15 for 8oz package, mini discs ~$9 for 5oz
– Overall, discs average about $1 less per ounce compared to bars
While bars give you neatly packaged portioned chocolate for eating, the discs give you better value per ounce if using primarily for hot chocolate. Consider how much you plan to use Taza for each purpose when deciding which products to buy.
Reviews: Taza for Eating vs. Hot Chocolate
Looking at consumer reviews provides more insights into using Taza for eating vs. hot chocolate:
– “Delicious bold chocolate taste unlike any other brand”
– “Love the crunchy texture and simple ingredients”
– “The chili spice bar adds nice heat without overpowering the chocolate”
– “Truly unique chocolate experience”
– “Can be grainy and dry if not used to the texture”
– “More bitter than typical drugstore chocolate bars”
For Hot Chocolate
– “The discs make the richest, creamiest hot chocolate ever”
– “Better than any hot cocoa mix I’ve tried”
– “Love using the cinnamon chili disc for a Mexican hot chocolate”
– “Velvety texture and complex chocolate taste”
– “The discs don’t fully melt and there are some chunks”
– “Can be too bitter for kids depending on the type of Taza used”
– “Have to stir frequently to blend chocolate chunks”
Overall, reviews indicate Taza makes excellent eating chocolate and hot chocolate, but the texture and flavor profile may not suit all preferences.
Cost Comparison to Other Quality Chocolates
Taza chocolate is positioned as an affordable premium chocolate. Here’s how it compares in price to other quality bean-to-bar chocolate brands:
|$7-9 per 3oz
|$10+ per 3oz
|$10+ per 2.5oz
|$8-12 per 2oz
|$15 per 8oz
|$16+ per 5oz
|$16+ per 4oz
Taza compares very favorably for both price per ounce on bars and discs as well as absolute pricing. You get great value for the premium quality.
Taza chocolate has made impressive commitments when it comes to environmental impact:
– Sources certified organic and Direct Trade cacao
– Uses renewable energy credits to offset 100% of electricity use
– Offsets all natural gas use and business travel
– Partners with Terracycle to recycle packaging
– Sells reusable tins for its chocolate discs
– Employs composting and recycling at its factory
– Uses soy-based, compostable food service packaging
– Does not use palm oil, which protects rainforests
Taza is committed to ethical cacao sourcing and reducing environmental harm across their operations. This sets them apart from giant chocolate corporations that lack transparency and corporate responsibility when it comes to environmental sustainability.
So, is Taza chocolate better for eating straight or making hot chocolate? The answer is both! Here are some key takeaways:
– Taza’s bold, nuanced flavor and pleasant crunch make it excellent for eating straight, especially the higher cacao bars.
– The gritty texture becomes lusciously smooth when melted into hot milk or cream for a unmatched hot chocolate experience.
– Both applications let you taste the pure, additive-free chocolate, just in different forms.
– Discs provide more value for hot chocolate, while bars give neatly portioned chocolate for eating.
– Any Taza chocolate can be used for either eating or hot chocolate, but certain ones lend themselves better to each application.
– Both are more affordable than other premium, small-batch chocolates.
– Taza sets the standard for ethical, sustainable chocolate production.
While personal taste preferences may lead you to prefer one application over the other, Taza provides a superb chocolate experience whether you choose to eat it straight or drink it hot. The high quality shines through regardless. Any serious chocolate lover should try Taza in both its solid and liquid forms.