Tacos are an iconic Mexican dish that have become popular worldwide. They are versatile and can be filled with various meats, cheeses, vegetables, and sauces. Finding the right drink to pair with tacos can elevate the dining experience. Many whiskey cocktails complement the flavors of tacos perfectly. The smoky, spicy qualities of whiskey stand up well to the spices used in tacos. Let’s explore some top whiskey cocktail options to enjoy with tacos!
What alcohol goes best with tacos?
When choosing an alcohol to pair with tacos, you’ll want something that can handle the range of flavors and spices used in the dish. Whiskey is an excellent option. The oak and smoke notes of whiskey work well with seasoning like cumin, chili powder, and cayenne often found in tacos. Whiskey also has enough sweetness to balance out any acidity from citrus flavors in salsas and hot sauces. Tequila is another nice choice with the agave flavors complementing Mexican seasonings. Beer, especially amber lagers, can also pair nicely with the Tex-Mex profile of tacos.
Should you drink whiskey or tequila with tacos?
Both whiskey and tequila pair nicely with tacos for different reasons. Tequila has an obvious affinity with Mexican cuisine, so it makes a natural choice. The vegetal, agave notes in a good tequila correspond well to corn tortillas and other ingredients in tacos. However, the oak aging and vanilla notes in many whiskeys also work well with the spices in tacos. The caramel sweetness balances out any heat. While you can’t go wrong with either, whiskey cocktails may be better suited to handle intensely spicy salsas or fillings. The higher proof of whiskey cuts through that heat better than lower proof tequila.
What type of whiskey goes with tacos?
When choosing a whiskey to pair with tacos, you’ll generally want something on the lighter, sweeter side. Some good options include:
- Irish whiskey: The pot still style Irish whiskeys offer light sweetness that complements tacos nicely without overpowering them.
- American bourbon: Look for wheated or low-rye bourbons which have a softer, more approachable flavor profile for tacos.
- Tennessee whiskey: Jack Daniel’s and other Tennessee whiskeys have a mellow sweetness and spice that works well.
- Canadian whiskey: Smooth and light-bodied Canadian blends won’t clash with taco flavors.
Smoky, peaty scotch and rye heavy bourbons are better avoided as their robust flavors may clash with the tacos. Focus on more gentle, rounded whiskey profiles.
What’s the best whiskey drink with tacos?
There are several great whiskey cocktail options that pair deliciously with tacos:
An Old Fashioned lets the whiskey flavors take center stage. The bitters and sugar balance out any spicy heat from the tacos. Use a smooth bourbon or rye whiskey for best results.
The bright citrus notes in a Whiskey Sour contrast nicely with the rich flavors of tacos. The egg white gives it a smooth, luscious texture. Use an Irish or Canadian whiskey for this cocktail.
The ginger beer and lime juice cut through the richness of greasy, fried taco fillings. The kick of bourbon whiskey stands up well to spicy salsas too. Try garnishing with a tajin-sugar rim.
Jack Daniel’s whiskey stars in this fruity, refreshing Lynchburg Lemonade. The sour lemonade and triple sec balance out any heat. It’s bright with just enough sweetness to complement tacos.
A Mexican Manhattan subs in reposado tequila for a portion of the whiskey. The herbal tequila and vermouth blend nicely with salsas and taco seasoning. Use a high rye bourbon or rye whiskey for the base spirit.
Which whiskey brands ideal for tacos?
When choosing a specific whiskey brand for tacos, you’ll want something affordable, pleasantly flavored, and versatile. Here are some good options:
|Jameson, Bushmills, Tullamore D.E.W.
|Maker’s Mark, Old Forester, Four Roses
|Jack Daniel’s, George Dickel
|Crown Royal, Canadian Club
|Old Overholt, Wild Turkey 101
These options offer an approachable flavor profile and good bang for your buck. They mix well into cocktails while also being smooth enough to sip neat alongside spicy tacos.
What’s the best whiskey with fish tacos?
The flavors of grilled or fried fish tend to be more delicate than beef or pork. You’ll want a lighter whiskey that won’t overpower the fish. Some good options include:
- Irish whiskey: The grassy, honeyed notes of Jameson complement most fish nicely.
- Canadian whiskey: Smooth and mild Canadian Club works well with grilled mahi mahi or cod.
- Flavored whiskey: Try a citrus or honey flavored whiskey for extra bright flavors.
Make easy fish taco cocktails like the Whiskey Sour, Lynchburg Lemonade, or Kentucky Mule for the best pairing experience. Avoid smoky scotch or spicy rye whiskey with fish tacos.
What whiskey goes with shrimp tacos?
Buttery, rich shrimp tacos need a friendly whiskey that enhances the shellfish without overwhelming it. Recommended options include:
- Irish whiskey: The light honey and fruit of Jameson goes nicely with shrimp.
- Wheated bourbon: Try Maker’s Mark or Larceny for soft, sweet notes.
- Low rye bourbon: Four Roses Yellow Label has just enough rye spice to complement shrimp.
Make a New Orleans style Shrimp Taco Cocktail with whiskey, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce for a perfect pairing. Avoid super smoky or high-rye whiskeys.
What’s a good whiskey with carnitas tacos?
Rich, juicy carnitas call for a bolder whiskey that can stand up to the braised pork flavors. Consider these options:
- Spicy rye whiskey: The cinnamon kick of Wild Turkey 101 is excellent with carnitas.
- Bourbon: Look for a high-rye bourbon like Bulleit for spicy notes.
- Scotch whisky: The smoky sweetness of a Speyside like Glenlivet works well.
Make a smoky Carnitas Taco Old Fashioned with bourbon, bitters, and smoked sea salt for an incredible pairing. Avoid lighter whiskeys that will get lost with flavorful carnitas.
What’s the best whiskey with carne asada tacos?
The bold flavors of grilled, marinated steak warrant an assertive whiskey. Try these options with carne asada tacos:
- Rye whiskey: Look for a high-rye style like Rittenhouse Rye to complement the char.
- Peated scotch: The smoke of an Islay like Laphroaig matches the grill nicely.
- Añejo tequila: For an authentic pairing, sip an aged tequila like Cazadores Añejo.
Mix up a Carne Asada Whiskey Cocktail with jalapeño, lime juice, agave, and bourbon or rye whiskey for a perfect match. Avoid lighter or sweeter whiskeys with the bold carne asada flavors.
What whiskey pairs best with breakfast tacos?
For breakfast tacos loaded with eggs, potatoes, bacon, and sausage you’ll need a friendly, versatile whiskey. Good options include:
- Irish whiskey: Jameson and eggs are a match made in heaven.
- Rye whiskey: The spicy kick of rye complements breakfast meats.
- Wheated bourbon: Maker’s Mark has a great balance of sweet and spice.
Make a Brunch Whiskey Sour with bacon-infused whiskey or try a Bloody Maria with whiskey instead of vodka. Avoid super smoky scotch for breakfast.
Finding the right whiskey to pair with the amazing variety of taco fillings may take some experimentation. In general, look for whiskeys on the lighter, sweeter side to complement typical taco seasonings and components. Irish whiskey, wheated bourbons, Tennessee whiskey, and Canadian blends are all solid choices for many tacos. If you prefer a bolder pairing, go for a spicy rye or high-rye bourbon with intensely flavored fillings like carnitas or carne asada. With the right whiskey cocktail in hand, your taco experience will reach new heights!