Welcome to the New Tijuana Picnic!
When we first opened our doors in 2014, Tijuana Picnic was a trendy downtown Manhattan restaurant. We garnered praise for dishes like duck wings with Asian spices and shrimp tempura tacos with fermented black beans. Our hip industrial space with communal tables drew buzz among young urbanites.
But after several wonderful years serving Mexican food, our passion evolved. We felt called to bring the vibrant spirit of authentic Mexican cuisine to larger audiences in new ways.
That’s why we’ve transformed Tijuana Picnic into an in-depth online guide celebrating the incredible diversity of Mexican food and drink traditions.
Tijuana Picnic has been featured on:
- New York Times – At Tijuana Picnic, Mexican Food With an Asian Touch
- Eater NY – The Hottest Restaurants in Manhattan Right Now
- Huffpost – The Best Holiday Gifts Your Favorite Chefs Have Ever Gotten
- Business Insider – The 10 best restaurants in New York City for big groups
- Open Table
- Foxnews – Guide to tequila so you can make awesome Cinco de Mayo cocktails
- Vice – The VICE Guide to New York City
- New York Post – Four mouth-watering Latin-Asian dishes worth changing your dinner plans
- Today Food – Ina Garten’s trick for making guacamole might actually be dangerous
- Bon Appetit – At the NYC Grub Crawl We Went Big With Tacos, Dim Sum, Fried Chicken, and More
- Refinery29 – Time To Party! NYC Venues Perfect For Any Bash
- Harper’s Bazaar
- Culture Trip
- Out Magzine
- The Manual
- PAPER Magzine
- Untitled Magzine
- CBS News – Best Places For Corn Dishes In NY
And many other publications. (It would make this page way too long.)
Tijuana Picnic’s mission is now to educate, inspire, and empower people to cook and enjoy traditional Mexican cuisine. We take pride in carefully researching each topic and capturing the authentic spirit of Mexico’s incredible culinary diversity.
You’ll find recipes, ingredient spotlights, city guides, cocktails, food history, cookbook reviews, recommendations, and more – all created by our small team with decades of combined experience living, cooking, and eating in Mexico.
While we no longer welcome guests through a physical restaurant door, we now invite visitors from around the world into our digital home. We hope to transport you through immersive content that captures the sights, sounds, smells, and tastes of Mexico.
At the New Tijuana Picnic, you’ll find:
– Step-by-step video tutorials showing how to prepare classic Mexican dishes like mole poblano, pozole, tamales, elotes, chiles en nogada, and more
– Cook-along programs covering recipes from each major region – start with our Oaxacan cooking series!
– Technique deep-dives into methods like nixtamalization, caramelizing onions al comal, and charring chiles
– Beginner-friendly recipes that build confidence cooking Mexican
– Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options
– Learn origins, varieties, uses, and prep tips for chiles, beans, corn, Mexican chocolate, avocados, heirloom tomatoes, squash blossoms, herbs, cheeses, and Mexico’s incredible diversity of produce
City Food Guides
– The best tacquerias, fonditas, street food stalls, restaurants, markets, and pulque bars in Mexico City, Oaxaca, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Puebla, Tijuana, Los Cabos, and more
Cocktails & Drinks
– Agave spirit guides covering tequila, mezcal, sotol, raicilla, and bacanora
– Recipes for classic Mexican cocktails like Margaritas, Palomas, Negronis, and Oaxaca Old Fashioneds
– Non-alcoholic beverage options like aguas frescas, licuados, and atoles
– Coffee culture and cafecitos in Mexico
Food History & Traditions
– The complex origins of Mexican cuisine and how indigenous, European, and immigrant influences fused over centuries
– Evolving culinary traditions, from ancient civilizations like the Aztecs and Mayans to the modern era
– How history and geography shape regional food differences
– The role of culture and family in Mexican foodways
Reviews You Can Trust
– Cookbook, podcast, movie, and TV recommendations to further your Mexican food education
– Reviews of essential kitchen tools and appliances for cooking Mexican food at home
– Checklists of pantry staples to have on-hand
– Images capturing Mexico’s bustling food markets and colorful local specialties
– Photo essays spotlighting Mexican chefs, artisans, and home cooks
– Mouthwatering close-ups of authentic dishes and ingredients
– Interviews with Mexican food experts, chefs, bloggers, and influencers
– Videos showing Mexican cooking techniques up-close
– Monthly features spotlighting different states and subcultures
– Downloadable cookbooks, posters, and infographics
– Comparisons of Mexican ingredients and substitutions
– Guidance on sourcing authentic Mexican produce and pantry items
We hope to transport you through immersive digital content that captures the diverse sights, sounds, smells, and tastes of Mexico. Consider us your supportive guide for experiencing the joy of Mexican cuisine.
The Tijuana Picnic Difference
What sets Tijuana Picnic apart is our dedication to meticulous research and passionate storytelling. Each writer and photographer has their own expertise – from mole to masa – which shines through in their work.
Rather than quick superficial takes, we create in-depth evergreen content that educates beyond a trendy recipe round-up. Our small team has over 50 years of combined experience living, working, and traveling in Mexico. This on-the-ground knowledge is invaluable.
We also focus on authentic dishes and techniques that honor tradition, while providing guidance for modern home cooks. You can trust our recipes are rigorously tested and adapted for ingredients accessible outside Mexico.
Lastly, we create a welcoming space for people to gather and share their love of Mexican food. Our site features opportunities to ask questions, share personal stories, and interact with fellow Mexican food fans from around the world. The camaraderie of food brings us together.
The New Tijuana Picnic
We hope this gives you a sense of our origins, mission, and the team bringing you authentic Mexican food content. While our restaurant is now closed, our journey continues.
We invite you to explore the tastes of Mexico through the original recipes, stories, tips, and visuals on TijuanaPicnic.com. Consider subscribing for updates on new articles, videos, cook-alongs, and more every week.
On behalf of myself and the entire team, bienvenidos! We look forward to continuing this journey with you. Please stay in touch with any feedback or questions. Until then, feliz cocinando y provecho – happy cooking and enjoy your meal!